XE1+35mm vs Leica M Monochrom + Lux 50

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: XE1+35mm vs Leica M Monochrom + Lux 50
In reply to Clint Dunn, Feb 5, 2013

Clint Dunn wrote:

You are probably seeing the difference between 'spot metering' and 'evaluative metering'. I would bet that the Leica metered off of the shirt, resulting in the blown highlights in the skylight, while the Fuji did not use spot metering.

Personally I like the look of the Leica file better (from an exposure point of view).

-- hide signature --

Perhaps. However, what about using DR200 or if necessary DR400 on the fuji to hold back the blown highlights. This is a very useful feature and one of my favorites since I was shooting many bracketed sets of raw with my Nikon to make HDR's whereas now in most cases I can shoot a RAW with the appropriate DR settings to harness excessive highlighting.

Regardless of the look that one prefers, the versatility for handling these conditions is greater for the fuji, plus is can shoot color (sorry I couldn't resist that last line).

Also, fuji glass although not in the same league as Leica, is reasonably close, closer than other mirrorless rivals. Some Zeiss is add a few options for use as well.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow