NX, vintage lenses and Ebay adapters...any problems?

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,236Gear list
Like?
Re: NX, vintage lenses and Ebay adapters...any problems?
In reply to Timmbits, Feb 5, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

Usee wrote:

The Walimex / Samyang F1.4 85 mm (...) is (at least in regard to it's weight) unbalanced on a NX1000 body and therefore unergonomic to use...

...so, I would rather opt for the Samsung F1.4 85 mm if I had to choose...

...about twice the price, but maybe also twice as nice to use.

Wow that Samyang looks enormous! this raises a question that I have... is the Samsung lens, that you say is much smaller than this, a true 85mm? Or is it similar to 85 with some optics tricks? The reason I ask, is that my Samsung 30mm f2 is abnormally small... especially when compared to a legacy 30mm lens (or the Samyang 30mm for that matter).

No trick here, the reason the Samsung 30mm f/2 is so small is the short flange distance of the camera.  An SLR has to revert to a retrofocus lens (inverted telephoto) to get 30mm due to the mirror box.

The Samsung can use a more compact design, and 30mm falls in the range of easiest to make lens for NX mount (usually a bit over the flange distance, like 50mm is cheap on an SLR).

The Samsung 85mm f/1.4 is a huge lens.  It is longer than most SLR 85mm lenses because the shorter flange distance on the camera.

Even a f2.8 opening on an old lens is huge compared to the f2 opening of the Samsung lens... so this is why I cannot help but wonder if there is some trickery involved. When I see such a small opening being fanned out across a larger sensor, are we really getting as much brightness as we think we are? (bokeh aside).

Nope, the 30mm f/2 only needs a 15mm (30 / 2) front lens element, minimum, since it is a traditional design lens.  Again, the SLR lens is a different style lens, which is why it is larger.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow