Camera for Europe Trip. T4i + plus some lenses, or RX100?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the purpose of the trip?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Feb 5, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

It's not a technical question at all. The DSLR package will allow to take better photos. But it will warp your viewpoint. Are you going on a photo shoot or a vacation? I never take any heavy iron on a vacation. A pocket camera is fine for anything I want. If I need a really good shot someone else has already taken it.

I totally agree. I would recommend you look at the Canon Powershot S110 as it has a wider (24mm) short end and is smaller and cheaper than the Sony. It takes fine pictures and even if the IQ is not quite on par with the Sony, it is a great little camera.

DSLRs are heavy, conspicuous beasts, makes you afraid of thieves and makes your back, your feet and probably even your wife hate you.

If you go the DSLR route, I would recommend you get the EF-S 15-85 instead of the 18-200 and the 10-22. It covers what you need most, IQ is great and it costs roughly the same as the 10-22. The difference between 15 and 18 mm is significant, and is very usefull in cityscapes and for architecture.

(DPReview has totally munged the quoting; I can't seem to do anything about it so I put all my responses in bold.)

To Leonard: When that happens, I usually cancel the whole thing and starts over. As you can see, it can be done

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow