X-E1 SDXC/SDHC performance (Lexar "x200" 30 MB/sec vs. Sandisk 95 MB/sec)

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 SDXC/SDHC performance (Lexar "x200" 30 MB/sec vs. Sandisk 95 MB/sec)
In reply to Indulis Bernsteins, Feb 5, 2013

Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

Here are my tests from 2 cards in my X-E1. Note that both FAT32 and exFAT file systems are supported and work on the X-E1. The X-E1 formats the card to FAT32, but the use of exFAT improves Mac compatibility and increases the performance a tiny bit. exFAT is not as compatible with Linux or XP though (Win 7 and above only AFAIK). The Lexar was provided formattted to exFAT and since it worked with the X-E1 I never checked or reformatted.

The method I used was to put the camera in manual focus, 1/4000s. Half-press the shutter, press the trigger and my stopwatch, fire off until the photo rate slowed, then release the shutter (usually 12-15 shots). Measure the time until the camera "writing to card" LED stops flashing. The camera was in Raw+Fine JPEG mode.

Lexar SDXC 200x card Premium series 64 GB
- 8.15 MBytes/sec
- exFAT, 128 KB cluster size

SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB SDHC "95 MB/s"
- 17.09 MBytes/sec
- FAT32, 64 KB cluster size

SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB SDHC "95 MB/s"
- 17.83 MBytes/sec
- exFAT 64 KB cluster size

So, it is worth buying a faster card if you are doing lots of rapid-fire photos. I haven't tested other high speed cards. The SanDisk is rated 95 MB/sec read, 90MB/s write (max, relies on the device "feeding" it as well). It is expensive but worth it. I'd buy the 16 GB or 32 GB versions, I bought the 8GB as it was an inexpensive test to see if it was worth buying a "95 MB/s" card, to see if the X-E1 would see the difference between that and the Lexar 64 GB "200x" (30 MB/sec) card.

One way to use these card is to use the 64GB for movies (fine for that, UHS-I specification), and 8GB card for photos. Copy the 8GB data onto the 64GB to clear it out.

Hope this is useful to people!

Quite useful - Thank you very much for posting!

(Specially for me, as I mainly use «Lexar» or «Sandisk» cards...)

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow