Sigma 35mm 1.4 outresolves 5d mark to @ f/2.0

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
Re: Pressure on Nikon?
In reply to anotherMike, Feb 5, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

I've shot with the new Sigma on a D800E (and I currently own a Nikon 35/1.4G), and I'll say this:

1) Nikon better get off their, uh, donkey and get better with their AFS motors in their fast wides. The Sigma AF *blows* away the 35/1.4G's and it ain't a close race

2) I've never been a Sigma fan - but this one is something I very well might buy (that was the reason I evaluated one, to see if it's worth exploring or purchasing). This is an impressive lens in SOME but not ALL things. The Nikon isn't going into the trash can yet.

3) Wasn't that impressed with the Sigma at F/1.4 - oh sure, technically it's a bit sharper than the Nikon at F/1.4, but neither lens, on a D800E, is sharp enough to be really usable for my quality standards. F/2, however, the Sigma gets pretty serious pretty fast. If you want the sharpest IMO 35mm lens at F/2 - F/4, the Sigma is probably it. Color me impressed.

Hi Mike,

I've got the Sigma 35 1.4 and to me it seems pretty sharp at 1.4 as seen in the photo of the plant leaves and doll. At f4.5 it's even better as seen in the fan and the image with the framed photo:  Really like Sigma’s 35 1.4 Art Line Series It's not scientific, but you can clearly see the lens is sharp nonetheless. This is on a Nikon D800E.

Anyway I too am curious about your definition of "my quality standards"?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow