Looking for a reliable replacement for a D200, asking for opinions...

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Questions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a reliable replacement for a D200, asking for opinions...
In reply to fredlord, Feb 5, 2013

The obvious replacement has been around since 2007.   Just get a lightly-used D300.  It has everything you listed, and more.   The specs may seem just a bit better than the D200 in a lot of ways, but it's really more than the sum of the parts.    The autofocus, 100% viewfinder, extra focus points, WAY better LCD, high ISO performance, etc, etc, will please you probably more than you expect.   It will also take the same batteries and cards you now use, and it will not run those batteries down nearly as quickly.

Alternatively, and mostly if you want even better high ISO performance and a bit better dynamic range, a D700.

Either (D300 or D700) will fall completely naturally to hand as the controls are almost the same.  You might miss the bracketing button of the D200 if you use that a lot.

I bought a D200 in early 2007 and a D300 in late 2007.   I loved using that combo for years (until the D200 went on the shelf in favor of a D700).    But any time I needed better autofocus (dim or low contrast conditions) or ISO above 400, I used the D300.

The grip for the D300 is also far superior to the one for the D200.   (And it interchanges with a D700, plus takes the EL4a battery and gives better speed and endless power).

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow