Is the D600/D7000 warm light focus shift issue solvable?

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 16,274
Like?
I think so
In reply to ahiggins333, Feb 5, 2013

ahiggins333 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

pipee wrote:

Yes, I have this problem too and it makes shooting indoors impossible. I am desperate for an answer.

I remember reading about someone saying using an 80A filter helps?

Yes...the folks who had the problem reported that in light below 5000k a -15 AF fine was needed with all their lens (above 5000K no fine tune required). They also reported mounting a 80A solved the problem. Two or three...reported that after Nikon adjusted the AF sub-mirror,,,the problems went away. Used to be a not uncommon reported problem with the D7000...now it almost never comes up which makes me think Nikon fixed something. Most D7000 owners did not have the issue. Since the D7000 and d600 shares some AF parts....I would look at seeing if Nikon can adjust the AF sub-mirror.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I was one of them, just over a year ago or so. Tested it to death at the time with my D7000 as well as a 2nd one. In the end Nikon wasn't able to fix it but I did find a solution, the same one Blagoy mentioned.

I remember.

>The only one I found is - get a camera with Multi-Cam 3500FX focus sensor, e.g. D700. I have the D700 since the first day it came out and haven't seen such a problem with it thus far.

Rented a D700, compared them both side by side, and it wasn't even close. Not only the (lack of) incandescent issue but the ability to consistently lock onto items with lower contrast in lower light. I purchased my own D700 after that and have been happy ever since. I can't speak to the D600 though.

D700, an excellent camera. A perfect choice I think.

Hope you're right Mako that they ultimately fixed the issue.

There were indeed two specific cases (after yours I think) of the same thing... that Nikon service did fix. Both showed/indicated the return invoice had "adjusted AF Sub-Mirror".  Almost never pops up any longer in the DX forum. That makes me think Nikon found a solution.  Regardless...Good Luck!

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow