D800E and Memory Cards

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Questions thread
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E and Memory Cards
In reply to JSB, Feb 5, 2013

When I picked up my D800 I replaced my memory cards as well.  I shoot almost entirely in 14-bit compressed RAW so I went with 32GB Lexar 400x cards in both CF and SD. Camera tells me I get 400 exposures on an empty card but I can fit more than that when shooting. I always run the cards in backup mode.

I'm not sure if the camera can utilize the full speeds of 1000x+ cards or not, though in the field I don't find the 400x cards slow at all. The camera will empty the buffer quickly after a burst so I'm happy with the performance of the 400x cards. I'm sure the speed of 1000x cards comes into play when downloading images to the computer but time there for me isn't nearly as important as I can just set it to import and go do something else. Rendering previews in Lightroom takes longer than the download so the increased speed doesn't warrant the higher price of the fastest cards.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow