PENTAX - Why Are They Interested in Extremes?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,466Gear list
Like?
Re: PENTAX - Why Are They Interested in Extremes?
In reply to MoreorLess, Feb 5, 2013

MoreorLess wrote:

viking79 wrote:

The presence of a cheap full frame solution is not the answer other than to keep defectors from leaving (but they already lost most of those people 2 years ago). Sony didn't start selling a lot of full frames until the popularity of the NEX system took off and it shows people are willing to pay $2800 for a compact RX1 full frame, but not $2000 for a very high quality DSLR full frame.

My point is if Pentax releases a full frame camera there is no guarantee it will sell to anyone but a few Pentax die hard fans. It has to be better than the Canon and Nikon D600 and 6D or offer something those don't. If I were a disinterested 3rd party looking to buy a D600, 6D, or theoretical K-1, the K-1 better have improved focus system, weather sealing, compact size, or something to give it that edge, otherwise it will be hard for Pentax to sell very many.

Eric

Amazon's sales charts certainly do not reflect this...

Cameras and Photo Sales Chart....

RX1 - #645

D600 - #195

6D - #71

The problem is more...

a99 - #1768

The Canikon grip on FF is simpley much stronger than it is on ASPC due IMHO to the extra importance such users place on a large lens lineup and the likelyhood of long term support.

Amazon sales charts really don't show a lot, just what is selling well on Amazon during a given week. RX1 was very high when it came out and has generated a lot of excitement that the A850 never could.

Also, for the RX1 is not a camera that will ever sell in large numbers, it is a niche camera. My hunch is that it has been very successful. It is probably a very high profit camera. I.e. you don't need a lot of sales volume for a $2800 full frame compact camera with expensive accessories.

As for A99, it has the same problem A850 did, people just aren't excited about it like they are the NEX system.

Edit: The problem I see with those figures are for the 6D and D600, those are really low down the list and might explain why they have been discounting them already.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow