Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
Re: “Full Frame Equivalence” and Why It Doesn’t Matter
In reply to Paul Amyes, Feb 5, 2013

Paul Amyes wrote:

Macx wrote:

Paul Amyes wrote:

All this talk of equivalence is really rather boring. As far as I'm concerned 35mm is a small format and nobody here seems to discuss its equivalence with 5x4 or 10x8. At the nd of the day photography is about images all this equivalence talk is just cerebal masterbation.

Well, for people switching between 5x4 and 10x8 or whatever, it's probably useful to think in equivalence for time to time. And stop saying "masturbation" as if it's a bad thing ; )

Masterbation is bad thing if it is continually done in a public space and then continually telling everyone about it. All these equivalence posts are that. What matters is that you are happy with your kit and you can do with it what you want to. Banging on and on about the same issue telling everyone they're wrong is basically showing that you are insecure about about something.

Oh, I agree. I hate when these things devolve into "you mustn't talk about this or you mustn't talk about that". Why can't people just leave things alone if it doesn't interest them? Different people find joy in different things. I'm just curious about how things work, but I don't delude myself that learning about how an internal combustion engine works make me a better driver. On the other hand, it doesn't make me a ​worse​ driver either.

Photography is supposed to be fun activity for people where you can express other sides of your character, it is not supposed to be the basis for religious fevour and persecution of those who don't see their hobby as you do. Perhaps we will see an equivalence jihad declared and full frame fundamentalists will become suicide bombers targeting the offices of Panasonic and Olympus. Then m4/3 jihadis will then retaliate by burning effigies of Nikon and Canon fast primes before marching on Zeiss declaring them to be the great Satan before blowing up the Leica factory at Solms.

Haha. Well, let's hope not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow