Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Why all Panasonians should stack. Part II
Feb 5, 2013

A lot of the Panasonic compact cameras have the combination of 12 full size images in 1 sec. and a very good optical IS.

I have covered the benefits of stacking these series into 1 image as far as up-sizing and sharpness goes in other threads. But then it hit me; the reason astro photographers stack is to separate tones and colors, and avoid exesive noise in the prosess. So I did a test with a stack of 44 images, and went Ansel Adams on them

With 4 bursts of 11 images, there is realy no limits to how far you can push and pull the images, as long as you have details in the highligts and shadows to begin with. It could have been a better image, but it's once again just a proof of concept:

Notice that the tones and colors don't look flat, fake, unsharp or HDR-ish.

And here you see a screen shot of a single frame below the finished result:

We all read about software and plug-ins that promises to make magic out of ordinary images. But they all come with a price; Broken colors, noise, loss of detail due to NR, and so on. Not with this technique. The end result is super sharp, no noise 20x25cm 300dpi.

I did the image in B&W first, because red filter images allways have *a lot* of noise and blotches and whatever in them. Let me tell you; this is the answer to dramatic B&W landscape photography when you don't have the big gun and a tripod with you.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow