Like?
Re: In on the Panasonic G3 deal
In reply to mfj197, Feb 5, 2013

mfj197 wrote:

tt321 wrote:

mfj197 wrote:

NickR wrote:

Ivar Dahl Larsen wrote:

There is if I understand you correctly? Lock the exposure by means of AE button assigned, where you want to measure the light, focus and shoot. Nothing to it.

-- hide signature --

idl

But I'd like to lock the focus independently of the shutter button as well. I'd like to be able to take an exposure reading from one part of a scene, lock it in, autofocus on the part of the scene I'm interested in, lock it in and trip the shutter without changing either exposure or autofocus. My Nikon D7000 has two buttons you can program to do either function- unfortunately it appears that the AF/AEL function can't be separated onto both function buttons on the G3 that I can see- you either get AF, AEL or AF/AEL on both buttons if you change the function buttons to be the AEL button.

It's confusing, I know.

Yes, you can do what you want just using focus and recompose. So use AEL on the function button to lock exposure as you want it, then focus on the part of the scene you want with a half-press of the shutter button, recompose, and fully press the shutter release. You don't really need two buttons as you have the half-press to lock focus as you want it.

True. But with certain lenses with very shallow DoF or weird field curvature, it's better to set the focus point to the correct final position, which is very easy with the G3 either through the touch screen or the keypad.

Yes, that's the way I work with wide lenses - set the focus point to where you want it in the frame. However the poster above wanted to lock exposure, then lock focus, then trip the shutter - this can be done by using the half-press of the shutter release whether you recompose or have the focus point set where you finally want it. If you don't want to hold on to the half-pressed shutter release (waiting for a long time for instance) then I guess it's a bit more problematic. You could do it by focussing and then knocking the camera into manual focus I suppose.

Yes. Waiting for a long time is problematic even if you have managed to lock both focus and exposure, as both could change during the wait. Otherwise, you might be able to set manual exposure, then set the fn to focus. It would have been better if another button is provided...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow