Sony A57 vs A65 noise

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,434Gear list
Like?
Re: Downscaling A77 high ISO images improves visible noise
In reply to Robsphoto, Feb 5, 2013

Robsphoto wrote:

"In my opinion, moderate (and higher) isos and heavy crops are the Achilles heel of this sensor. One of the reasons you want to have a high pixel sensor, is so that you can crop heavily when needed. Otherwise, you might just as well get the 16MP sensor to begin with if you constantly have to resample to a lower res to control the noise. That'll work with the A77 so long as the ISO is below 400 IMHO. It's manageable at 400 with some work and 800 with a lot of work. Personally, when birding, I've been ETTR with an EV of +.7 and then performing as much highlight recovery as possible in RAW to control the shadow and background noise. However, ETTR leaves you with longer exposures at a given ISO which is bad for birding.

There are a lot of reasons to buy the A77 and enjoy using it, but this scenario is not one of them. Now if the AF performance and speed of the camera is better than the 16MP alternatives, then down-sizing is a reasonable compromise but not one I expected to have to use with this camera."

How would you reply to this A77 owner, do you agree with the points he is making, particularly: "Otherwise, you might just as well get the 16MP sensor to begin with if you constantly have to resample to a lower res to control the noise"?

I would reply that I disagree with his assessment based on my own experience with using both an A55 and A65.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow