Sell 24-70 2.8L and 24-105L for 24-70 2.8L II?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
jayelae
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: Sell 24-70 2.8L and 24-105L for 24-70 2.8L II?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Feb 5, 2013

I have a 5D3 with the 24-105 L as kit lens -- after using this combination for a few months, I sold the 24-105 and got the 24-70 f/2.8 II. I have never regretted doing so as the II is awesome (I never used the original 24-70). I do not miss the lesser reach for I hardly notice the difference between 70MM and 105MM.

Since you "hardly ever use" your 24-105, I do not believe there is anything that will make you really use it more for in the future. The 24-70 II is everything the original 24-70 is and MORE -- so I would go for selling what you have now and getting the II. It is a beautiful piece of lens to behold and -- regardless of what level you are in terms of photography and photographic skills -- it just feels wonderful to own and practice and enjoy photography with one of the best and truly world-class lenses. The more I use it, the more I admire it.

I came from a 400D then 40D then a 7D with 17-55 f/2,8 IS -- already very wonderful combinations and I only really felt "settled" when I ended with the 5D3 and 24-70 II. I am by no means a talented photographer yet the pleasure I derive from this pairing is priceless. I can just imagine the wonders that an advanced level artistic photographer can do with this -- surely he can do a lot even with a point and shoot.

But, somehow, it is just like having a Timex and a Patek Philippe; both will tell time accurately but the Patek Philippe experience is simply on a different plane -- for the art, the heritage, the quality, the workmanship, the design.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow