Paging DSTE MB D12/En EL18A Owners

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,295Gear list
Like?
Re: Paging DSTE MB D12/En EL18A Owners
In reply to imax2k2, Feb 5, 2013

FWIW, I just got my DSTE with el18 battery/holder, last week. Seems to work fine on my d800. It appears to be a full polymer type body, with little metal, but it's pretty strong. I couldn't squeeze it and discern a flex. It does have about a ½" metal strip running along the bottom, inside, of the grip, attached to the tripod socket. But, I don't think I'll use it on the tripod. I can make it flex pretty good when the grip is attached as tight as I can get it. But, to be fair, my OEM Nikon grips will also flex.

The wheels turn in the right way and the shutter release seems fine, as well as the joystick. Dunno how well the electronics are connected, but I'd expect it to last at least a couple of years of normal use. For the price, I can replace it 4 times to reach the OEM Nikon version of the mb-d12, so I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

This is my first 3rd party grip. I've always stayed with Nikon OEM grips for the d200, d300, d700 but the price for the mb-d12 is just insane, IMO. I'm sure that it is better built than the DSTE, but 4x better????

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow