ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WhatTheTech
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Is my 5D on its way out?
Feb 5, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time reader, but this is the first time I've not found an answer already discussed on the forums. I have been using my 5D for several years now. It was a refurb, but for two and a half years has been working beautifully. I shoot weddings mostly, and have always been impressed with the performance.

About a week ago, I formatted all of my memory cards. After most weddings I usually dump the cards and just delete the files through my computer's browser, but I like to format in-camera every now and then.

It was then that I noticed that the next time I used my 5D, it seemed as though the cache was slower than usual. Having shot weddings, I've always relied on the fast cache and paired with some Sandisk Extreme Pro cards have never had to play catch up. Now, I can't take more than eight RAW images at 1fps without everything slowing to a near-halt.

Is the camera on its way out? I'm assuming that the internal cache is flash memory of some sort, which I know has a finite lifetime (if long by most standards). Could it be that the cache is finally giving up the ghost?

This happens across all of my memory cards. I have reset to default settings, and I am on the latest firmware. The camera has not been dropped or otherwise mistreated.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow