D4x rumor

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah, but Steve...
In reply to JimPearce, Feb 5, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

Gary, like me, pretty much only cares about the supertelephotos. Imagine shooting a 16 year old Canon supertelephoto! But my 500 f4 AF-S stands up in the Nikon world precisely because Nikon hasn't got the weight down - without sacrificing strength or optics - the way Canon has. Oh, and when they finally got around to doing it with the 800 f5.6 they want a $7,000 premium over the Canon!

-- hide signature --

Jim

Of course that's right, Jim -- my main interest is in the telephoto end of the business...from the 70-200 on up.

But it seems to me that you're speculating about build quality -- as solid as Nikon's long lenses are, I've seen no indication that Canon's new light weight models are any less robust than Nikon's. Canon did away with the front meniscus element to save weight (which interestingly enough Nikon didn't do with the redesigned 800VR), but Canon did move the front fluorite lens from the front to protect it. And do you really think Canon sacrificed optical quality? Based on all the reports I've read, Canon's MKII's, on the whole, are superior to Nikon's offerings with the likely exception of the new 800VR.

Regardless, given a choice, I'd pick Canon supertele's over Nikon's just for the weight reduction even if there was a slight reduction in optical quality -- at this level of the game you would never be able to tell the difference in real-world conditions. The only thing that is holding me back from switching is the lack of a high-resolution sensor that can compete with Nikon and until/unless that comes along, I have no plans to change anything.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin
http://photographersonlinemagazine.blogspot.com

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BTWNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow