Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,897Gear list
Like?
Re: Is AF-C basically a myth for NEX?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Feb 5, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

At least Sony has figured it out. They had AF-C on the RX1 in an early production model and then removed the mode for the final model that shipped to consumers.

True. I guess the main point I was trying to make was that no manufacturer currently has a good AF-C solution for mirrorless. This is one area where any DSLR will crush a mirrorless camera.

Well, DSLRs aren't very good in high speed burst mode either (that is where SLT advantage shows up). The typical DSLR will get highest burst rate in release priority mode, which locks focus on first frame. The slower rate will have AF-C through the mirror.

In SLTs (and in NEX with EA2), full time AF-C is maintained even at highest burst rate (10 fps in A55, for example). The limitation, however, is that exposure is set at the first frame and at f/3.5 (however, switching to AF-S allows control over exposure but then... no AF-C). You'd have to settle for 6 fps (in A55) or 8 fps (I think, in A77) for AF-C with exposure control. DSLRs are slower than that.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow