Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
kuaimen
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds
In reply to Darrell500, Feb 5, 2013

Looks like a bunch of "good" Olympus cameras are coming out later this year, including the much-expected E-7 (or whatever that E camera / cameras might be), it's time to ask for some features that costs Olympus virtually nothing to implement.

There are a bunch of software gimmicks already in Olympus cameras, like the pin hole effect, etc. I am sure some people will find that fun to use sometimes, albeit rarely (I guess).

There is one gimmick I believe could be really useful to many (if not all) Olympus camera users. It's rather a simple one. As I use PC, I do not know an easy way to batch rename files. As a result, my photos are given the rather "scientific" (cryptic) file names by Olympus. Not user-friendly. I ended up naming folders with descriptive names to keep track of things as much as I can, such as "20121225_Xmax_in_Central_Park". This way, my folders are sorted in a way I like. Files in the folders of course are not nicely sorted (In Linux, files can be easily renamed using a batch command but I am using PC for photos not too smart I know).

Ideally, if Olympus can let users define photo file names, that would be great. One example naming template can be something like

yyyymmdd_desriptive_text_photo_number

That's all I need to name my photos neatly. For example, for a kid's birthday event, the photos would be named like

20130218_John_Doe_Birthday_Party_NYC_1.orf

20130218_John_Doe_Birthday_Party_NYC_2.orf

That's a piece of cake in software implementation, but a huge plus in organizing the photos.

Olympus, listen up, I am not going to charge you royalty for using this scheme in your cameras!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow