Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
Re: “Full Frame Equivalence” and Why It Doesn’t Matter
In reply to sean000, Feb 5, 2013

sean000 wrote:

RicksAstro wrote:

Yes, it listed the advantages of FF, but then goes on to say why "it doesn't matter", downplaying those advantages in a Ken Rockwellian kind of way.

Well every blogger just wants to be read, so why not borrow a play from a master attention-grabber like KR by using headlines that you know will generate (possibly multiple) 150 post threads on DPreview...all with links to your website?

I think a better way to put it was that the sensor size differences don't matter as much as they once did...at least not for the vast majority of photos. Even as sensor technology continues to improve there will always be some advantages differences to the larger formats for at least specialty applications (or even when trying to achieve a specific look).

I appreciate the article for voicing my personal frustration with what I see as an unhealthy obsession over equivalency, but I might have worded it differently. There are certainly differences in the formats, and clear advantages to larger sensors. Nevertheless those comparisons are tiresome and irrelevant to those of us who now use m4/3 as our primary or only format. If the point of a thread is to compare formats, that's fine. These differences should be discussed by those trying to decide what format to buy into (or switch to). If the thread is about m4/3 only, then leave other formats out of it unless there is a point to bringing up a comparison (and sometimes there is). But what I find frustrating is that we can't seem to have a thread discussing the differences between a two m4/3 lenses of different maximum apertures without someone saying, "Well the 25mm f/1.4 isn't really an f/1.4 you know." Yes, I'm afraid that is exactly what it is. That's a physical lens property. Same goes for using a legacy lens like a 50mm f/1.4. It's still a 50mm f/1.4, but it will just yield different results when used on different sensor sizes.

Sean

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Great post.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow