ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rhodius
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Just got Rokkor MD 50mm 1:1.4, need some opinions
Feb 5, 2013

Hello all,

After reading all the advices here, I decided to try out the above lens, got my copy from ebay and paired with fotodiox Minolta to NEX adapter.

Now I just want some opinions of the results. First, I just want to know what's the condition of the Rokkor that I got. Lens itself looks clean with some spots, I don't think this will be an issue. Second, I'd also appreciate any tips to improve my using the Rokkor. I bought it for the low light performance, I already have the SEL50F18 to compare to. So two things expert, how is this Rokkor that I had, any tip to improve photo taking with this lens? Right now I always set it to F 1.4 Aperture priority and then manual focus using peaking as well as using focusing at 5.9X. I know I read that f 1.4 is not the MD 50mm strongest, but like I said I bought it for low light. I'd really appreciate tips if it can be sharper. I'll be honest with you, right now these pics are not any sharper than the SEL50F18.

These two pictures are direct comparison of the Rokkor and SEL50F18, focus is on the eyes of the froggie, or nose, so it seems. 

Rokkor at 1.4

SEL50F18 at 1.8

I guess I was expecting much sharper image as well as low light capability but only got the low light out of this. Or is it my focusing skill that is the problem here? Or is it my lens, not good?

SEL50F18 at 1.8

Rokkor 50 at 1.4

Thanks Folks!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow