Forum ProPosts: 12,265Gear list
Like?
Re: why f2.2 on the 135?
In reply to Christoph v Ballmoos, Feb 4, 2013

Christoph v Ballmoos wrote:

MAC wrote:

Christoph v Ballmoos wrote:

MAC wrote:

put the aperture on F2.0 and leave it there!

That seems a bit boring fur sure...

although it is fantastic at f2, limitation is rarely a good strategy...

no, I have the shot at f2 as well, but the one at f2.2 looked similar, but the dog was crispier. Will check again tonight. Before that, I had a high aperture setting to get more DOF when the dog was running. And while taking this series, I saw, that I was till at f10 and just turned the wheel down to decrease the aperture number, and by that, I obviously stopped at f4 and f2.2 for a shot. I will check, if I have one at f5.6 as well.

Cheers,

Christoph

well, I take a different view.

the shot is about the dog - you have one of the best bokeh F2 lenses in your hands, what is so meaningful about the trees that should detract attention from the dog

I agree. This is why I obviously lowered the aperture number. It just happen to have that I exported the f2.2 shot instead of f2. But you can find the f2 shot now in my previous message at the bottom of the thread.

carry a T4i and 15-85 as a second camera if you want shots with deep dof - the 135 is about one thing imo - isolation and bokeh

!! Don't overdo it. The shot I showed was at f2.2 with a 5D, not from a P&S. !!

I have 5d and T4i btw.  T4i is not a P&S -- for deep dof shots, it does just as well in good light with zooms.  Use Zooms for deep dof shots, then you'll be able to better frame.  The F2 of this remarkable lens on FF should not be wasted on anything but F2.

I just wanted to see people's reaction on my thoughts and going through the answers, there is one thing very obvious:

People have different opinions, which pic they like best... so, well, the question was maybe worth it?

Cheers,

Christoph

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow