**** PART 2 of This Week Thru Your M43 (February 2, 2013) ****

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 15,344
Our pet volcano keeps blowing off

One of our volcanoes here in Rabaul, Papua New Guinea, in the South Pacific, is Tavurvur. it keeps blowing out smoke and ash -- and unfortunately in this season (the northwest monsoon) that smoke and ash blows right across our airport's airspace so no serious flights! Bother!

Here is yesterday's picture. I unfortunately left the camera set for sunlight when I took this early morning pic with "sunlight" as such not much of a component. Very blue light. A bit weird, due to the volcano detritus in the atmosphere. Should have set it for overcast, I suppose, or AWB.

I PP in Photoline, an excellent and very economical editor, but its auto white balance just wasn't up to the job on this occasion. Produced quite a pleasing pic but far too red and too light.

So I had anoher go at editing another shot. Tweaked the blue and red a little myself. Didn't try for white balance using the white balance tool -- for some reason, regardless of the editor I'm working in, I can never get it right!

Here’s something a little more like what I was looking at:

Should have lightened off the sea a little.

As you can see from the exif, the Panny 14 at work on the E-PL3.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow