Is PowerCam the best toy camera app for Android today?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Is PowerCam the best toy camera app for Android today?
In reply to Doug Pardee, Feb 4, 2013

More good points:

• Can store original (combined but unfiltered) image for panorama.

More not-so-good points:

• Panoramas are low-resolution. I did a test and got only 748 (vs. 2560 possible) pixels high. A second try came out 706 pixels high. A test in landscape orientation, 426 pixels high (vs. 1920 possible). I suspect PowerCam's capturing at 800x600 when taking panoramas.
  • No vignetting options, anywhere. Maybe it's because of the fixed 4:3 aspect ratio, but a toy camera app without vignetting?
  • Original captures (if kept) are stored in the PowerCam/Original folder, not in the camera roll or elsewhere in the DCIM folder.
  • App cannot be moved to internal SD card.

And a correction from my earlier posting: for panorama, you don't need to keep the shutter button pressed. Just touch it once, then pan the camera from left to right. An indicator bar shows how far along you are in the panorama.

I took a look at the ratings of various Android toy camera apps at applause.com, and PowerCam came out on the bottom. The main complaints seem to be device compatibility and user interface, with some disappointment about geo-location. That sounds about right.

Even so, among the toy camera apps I find PowerCam's feature set combined with full-resolution files (except for panoramas) to be compelling.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Snapseed +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow