which olympus PEN should I buy?! Help!!

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,094Gear list
Like?
Re: I just went through the decision process...
In reply to tjdean01, Feb 4, 2013

tjdean01 wrote:

I'm new to interchangeable lens cameras but PEN is so small I took the plunge. I wanted a cheaper (read: older) model because I didn't know if I'd use it much and I didn't want to waste money. I also wanted a flash built-in.

PL1: IMO no sense to get it because PL2 is better feature-wise and has a flash.

PL3: A bit smaller than the PL2 but no flash and fewer features. I kind of hate this one in comparison.

P3: a bit wider and heavier than the PL2 and more metal on the body and $100 more at least.

Any Pen other than the 3 year old E-P1 and E-P2 will have a flash. Some might have a flash as part of the body (E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3) while the others have a small clip-on flash that is included with the purchase (E-PM1, E-PM2, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-M5), Now, it is more convenient if the camera has the flash builtin, but unless you are going to use the other accessory port options (VF-2/3, Penpal, MAL-1) the clip-on flash is small and unobtrusive.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow