Started Feb 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 + E-PM2 or EM-5
In reply to wisebug, Feb 4, 2013

wisebug wrote:

Hello fellow humans,

I bought a D7000 to replace my beloved D40 a while ago, since then I haven't been taking as many pictures.

I'm too lazy to carry my "travel" kit (D7000, Tamron 17-50 2.8 , Nikkor 70-300 & SB600), many times the camera stays at home and I borrow a friend advanced compact.

I'm getting ready for a trip in a few months so I was thinking about changing my kit but I'm having some trouble deciding between selling my kit and getting a E-M5 or adding a E-PM2 (or E-PL5) for travel.

I thought about getting a advanced compact but for the same price (or cheaper) I think the IQ of a micro 4/3 system is worth it over the small portability advantage.

I'm sure some of you have gone both routes so maybe some feedback would help ease my mind about what I should do next. Of course money is the main concern since I can't afford to keep the D7000 and buy a E-M5

Thanks

I purchased into m43 specifically for travel.  It is awesome to be able to carry a capable body and an assortment of lenses, and not have a sore shoulder at the end of the day.

For starters, I would sell the D7000 kit and fully commit to m43.  I think you'll appreciate the system more when you are committed.

Secondly, I would purchase the E-M5 and pass on the E-PM2.  While the sensor is the same on both, the IBIS and the manual controls of the E-M5 transform the shooting experience.  The E-PM2 is a great camera, but it is better suited for backup or superlight duty as a second camera than a primary camera to a serious shooter IMHO.

Your current travel kit is very different from my m43 travel kit, but with all the m43 lenses available, you can mix or match to your heart's content.

My light travel kit includes:

m.zuiko 9-18: Unbelievably small for a UWA.  Look for this refurbished if you're interested.

m.zuiko 14-150: The image quality is pretty good for a SZ as long as you stop down a bit. The newly announced Tamron might be good competition here.

Panny 20/1.7: This has been my night street shooting lens since I bought into the system.  I love it.  The new 17/1.8 is another choice that you might enjoy.  Either way, I would recommend a low light lens of your focal length of choice.

Lastly, if you are looking to save money as you get started, I would probably suggest the following:

E-M5 w/ 12-50 kit: make sure that the lens copy you get is good.  The variation seems to be high on these lenses.  My copy is great.  Reports from certain folks in this forum indicate otherwise.  Just make sure you purchase from someplace that will stand behind you getting a good copy.

Olympus 40-150.  You can get this with the E-M5 for another $99 right now.  It is worth every penny.

As for a flash, the fl-300r is a great little compact flash for $139.  If you're looking for something to replace your SB600, you would want to look at either an FL-600r (which is spendy @$250) or the older FL-36 (or FL-36r) on the used market, which is about the same size as your SB600.

You could potentially be out the door with the 2 lens kit and the FL-300r for $1439+tax through Olympus direct.  That's a pretty good value.

I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.

-Kiel

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow