Studio shoot: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II or f/4.0 VR III?

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,657
Re: Studio shoot: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II or f/4.0 VR III?
In reply to Manzur Fahim, Feb 4, 2013

Both lenses will do a very good job. I do have an opinion on which is better from an absolute sense, even if it's not a huge difference, and it's the 2.8 VR-II. I shoot mostly studio and some landscape. My usage of the 70-200 is more studio, usually at the 70/85/105/135mm focal length range, and I recently got a chance to evaluate the 70-200/4. While the F/4 lens is certainly good, I didn't find it to have the same level of excellence, partiuclarly in the areas of contrast, microcontrast, and "bite" that the 2.8 VR-2 lens is known for - the VR2 2.8 is clearly optimized for the closer in distance ranges, and I could see the difference even at the studio apertures (F/8 - F/10) I shoot with D800E. Thus, I have no interest in the F/4 lens personally, although if I shot mostly landscape, I probably would.

I'll put it another way: I also own the 200/2, which is fantastic. At studio distances/apertures, there isn't that much drop off in sharpness/contrast between the big 200 and the VR2 - one of the big reasons I bought the 2.8 VR2. Thus, I tend to grab the VR2 and not worry that I'm not using 'the better lens" - the difference isn't that much, and that's saying something (I should note that at longer distances, for landscape work, or for around F/2.8 - F/4, the 200/2 is quite a bit superior as one would expect - so to be clear, I'm talking about differences in the studio distance range only here). However, I didn't feel the F/4 got me to that point - if I only owned the F/4 and the 200/2, I'd never use the F/4 zoom to the same degree as I currently use the 2.8 VR2 zoom - it's not just quite good enough for me compared to the better glass I own. (in the studio distances). At the same time, both are good. If you don't like the weight of the VR2, get the F/4. But if you're truly critical, the VR2 is the better zoom for the distance ranges you generally shoot in the studio.

Perhaps rent both and see for yourself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow