Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,516
Like?
Re: What Second Monitor for Lightroom?
In reply to Pelagic, Feb 4, 2013

Pelagic wrote:

NewsyL wrote:

thanx again for great ideas, knowledge and suggestions.

Sure does. A 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor turned to portrait mode will suffice. Or a 24" 1920x1200 in landscape mode. A4 is 210 x 297 mm or 8.3 x 11.7 inches widthxheight. I checked my U2412M 24" 1920x1200 and A4 fits fine even allowing for a little bit of margin for software menu bars.

Only problem with the U2412M is that it does not have a HDMI port. I've used mine on occasion connected to my laptop via VGA and it is rock solid.

Is there a problem with using VGA? Would a HDMI to DVI adapter fix any VGA problems?

Generally speaking, you will get your best quality image with a digital connection such as with DVI or HDMI or Displayport.

I have had some monitor/video card couplings where via DVI is rock solid but with VGA I could see anomalies that were likely related to either a bad cable or poor power supply.

But there are several other decent monitors out there offering 24" 1920x1200 with VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports. I believe one highly rated model is the HP ZR2440w. There are also a couple of models from ASUS. Dell is also discounting the wide gamut U2410 to $399 as it is at End Of Life with the new U2413 coming later this month.

I'm groping the ASUS and HP sites right now. The Dell U2410 looks like a good choice. But since my printing scheme is fixed, for now, could the wider gamut possibily create problems? I'm after the simpiest WYSIWYG system.

With the wide gamut U2410 you will have to ensure that you have a strong grasp of color management principles - use of ICC profiles and color managed software for both editing and viewing images.  Search these forums for wide gamut and color management and you will find quite a few threads that often start with a post something like "my images are too red" or "skin tones are too ruddy, what am I doing wrong?".

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow