Canon 70-200mm f4 vs Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Questions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70-200mm f4 vs Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
In reply to TTMartin, Feb 4, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

The Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II is an outstanding lens.

Be aware there are several versions of this lens, and you want the one above.

I own this lens and its focus is fast, and when properly calibrated accurate. My lens front focuses, but, my Canon 50D and 7D both have MFA so that isn't an issue. I've had the lens for almost 4 years and am still very happy with the purchase. I'm actually sending the lens into Sigma for calibration, before the 4 year warranty expires. I have an XTi as a fun camera, and my daughter has an XTi, so figured I should go ahead and get it calibrated.

I've used the lens for everything from Softball to Indycars, and it works great. Image quality is outstanding.

Here's the lens compared side by side in the DPReview Widget: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS vs Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II.

edit: Yes, the old Tamron focus motor is that slow and should be avoided for sports applications. Tamron has just released an new 70-200 f/2.8 with their new USD focus motor and VC, if it maintains the IQ of their old 70-200 f/2.8 it would be a lens worth getting.

I am not great at reading these graphs, but if I read it correct, there is hardly any difference in sharpness between the Sigma * the Canon At all FL's & Ap's. Am I mistaken?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow