Matching a lens to a camera - focusing speed help

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Re: Matching a lens to a camera - focusing speed help
In reply to ScreenByte, Feb 4, 2013

Thanks for the replies.

All I could show you is a picture in focus shot at 160th on the sigma and one shot at 400th out of focus on the Nikon which would prove nothing really.

I shot around 10,000 images last year so I know this lens doesn't focus as fast as my last one but if I give it Nikon with the camera for matching will it make a difference?

Can anyone explain what Nikon would do and if this would make a difference to my focusing?

Shutter speed has nothing do do with focusing accuracy, although both focus errors and low shutter speeds can cause blur (different kinds of blur, and for different reasons).

I've tried the 70-200 VR II on my D600, and it is a very, very fast focusing lens. In AF-C mode, it kept up with badminton players even if they came in fast and close. It's a little better than my 80-200/2.8 AF-S, which is a very fast focusing lens already. I didn't spend much time with that lens, but sharpness was also very good. It's at least as sharp as my 80-200/2.8 AF-S at short to medium focal lengths, and is noticeably sharper at 200mm.

If the camera is consistently focusing behind the subject, or consistently focusing in front of the subject, you might want to do some controlled test shots of a static target with the camera on a tripod. That should let you know if the lens needs fine tuning.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow