Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,628Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds
In reply to Raist3d, Feb 4, 2013

Raist3d wrote:

The system is alive and well if it continues development. Doing the later is a backward compatibility move, not 4/3rds being "alive and well." You could say the lenses are supported- which is a good thing certainly, but alive and well means a system that continues being actively developed.

I think part of what we are seeing is simply technology changing. When the 4/3 standard was created, conditions existed that no longer exist.

1) Digital sensors were a lot less sensitive to light that didn't strike the sensor at a 90 deg angle to the sensor.

2) APS-C size sensors were a lot more expensive to produce than the smaller 4/3 ones.

3) FF sensors were stratospherically expensive to produce.

The whole telecentric 4/3 concept applied in the days of the E1 with it's kodak sensor. Time has moved on and technology has changed. While I hope they do make some sort of "backwards compatible" body, I agree this isn't a sign the 4/3 mount is being further developed and honestly not sure that would be R&D money well spent.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow