Noise reduction - what's the best program?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,966
Like?
Re: LR4 versus others. Comparison
In reply to Robgo2, Feb 4, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I strongly recommend Noiseware Pro which is now on version 5. It is available as a standalone or Adobe compatible plugin. There is a free trial download available at imagenomic.com. Try it & decide for yourself.

I also like Noiseware 5, which I use as a Photoshop plugin. The results are as good as what I can get with Topaz DeNoise, but NW is much easier and faster to use. TDN does a great job, but it has a very steep learning curve and is painfully slow. That said, I am now doing the vast majority of NR with the latest version of Noise Ninja, which is included in the phenomenal new raw converter Photo Ninja. Noise Ninja works on the raw file, while NW works on the processed file. The results are very close, with most differences being inconsequential. NW has more controls, but nowadays, I use it mostly to clean up residual grunge that can appear after heavy editing of certain images.

Rob

I think you meant: The results aren't as good as what I can get with Topaz DeNoise...

Having tested Noiseware pro 5, I was somewhat disappointed to find that it used the same old NR engine as earlier versions. Which is to be expected I suppose given that Denoise seems to be the only kid on the block with a new trick up it's sleeve in terms of detail recovery whereas the competition seems to be stuck in a rut, so to speak.

I agree on the speed factor for Noiseware also. Then again... I suppose one could just as easily conclude that you get what you pay for in terms of power vs gains. ie. quick NR = quick quality whereas slower NR = higher quality.

Having said that, I've run 16MP RAW files through Denoise on everything from dual core Opteron processor through to a 6 core i7, and never found the software to be unbearably slow even on the slowest system, which went from; acceptable to good(core i5) to very good with the i7.

I'd also like to comment on the claim that NW is much easier to use than Denoise. To which I'd add, I honestly don't see where this comes from given the sheer amount of controls and settings that come with Noiseware in contrast to Denoise. Unless of course the none Pro version is greatly simplified which I haven't tested. Though from what I could see, I honestly don't see

At any rate, I don't meant to contradict anyone as I'm sure everyone is entitled to their opinions and feeling toward such things. It does however look like much of the criticism offered toward Denoise and Noiseware didn't quite fit the facts and so I wanted to offer my two cents on that.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow