Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Is AF-C basically a myth for NEX?
Feb 4, 2013

I have a NEX6 camera and I've been missing a lot of moving shots for candid portraits in the street. Mostly because they are all out of focus. So I started training for this particular scenario. So first of all, I'm using a fast lens Z24 that allows me to go up to 1/200 or 1/300 with decent exposure.

Then secondly, I started using focus tracking. This way I can mark the person's face and then recompose. For the most part focus tracking is not the problem.

So finally the problem really is with AF-C. In burst mode, what I would expect is that the camera should constantly try to refocus after each shot, the box would turn green, makes the beep sound, and then take the shot. It kind of does this, but what ends up happening is that it would beep but the subject is still out of focus. So basically it lies...

The question is, anyone was able to use AF-C successfully for moving objects and burst mode? I'd imagine this is a very typical scenario. For example, the good old train-moving-towards you scenario where you would need to continuously change focus.

(P.S. I can take a video demonstrating this effect if I'm not explaining this clearly)

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow