Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Re: Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line
In reply to seahawk, Feb 4, 2013

seahawk wrote:

The problem is there no big support for DX in the photography community. We have reached the point where people believe that an cropped to DX size D600 image taken at ISO200 would be superior to the same image taken with a D5200.

Yeah, but FX is way, way more expensive than DX and always will be.  I rather doubt the market is going to disappear for DX sensor-sized products.  It's a great tradeoff where sensors cost about 1/5th what an FX sensor costs, yet it's still got amazing performance.  You lose significant performance at the CX sensor size.

I myself am likely to buy a DX mirror-less camera for lightweight backpacking because it's so much better sensor performance than the CX Nikon 1.

I don't think the DX sensor size is going to disappear anytime soon.  FX is just way more camera than MOST of the market needs or is WILLING to pay for.  We often forget here that DPR is not representative at all of the buying public.  Most of the dSLR market is buying D3200 and D5200.  That will not change anytime soon.  Even if FX bodies get more affordable, FX lenses are big, heavy and expensive.

IMO, the D600 is a temporary curiosity that is fooling a lot of buyers that would be better suited with a less expensive DX body.  That will sort itself out over time as these buyers find out that it wasn't the camera body that was limiting the quality of their images and now they've spent more than 2x what they should have on a body and all the lenses are more expensive too.  When FX bodies with the features of a D5200 are in the $600 range and FX lenses are as inexpensive as DX lenses are today, then I'll believe the general buying public might be genuinely interested in FX, but by then DX systems are going to be all mirrorless, smaller, lighter and have a pretty awesome feature set.

I will grant you that the D400 market today is way smaller than the D300 market was at the time it was launched.  That's natural.  Nikon has way more dSLRs in their portfolio today than they did back then and some of the original D300 territory has been taken by other models.  But, it still fills a unique need and if Nikon wants to be as dominant as they say, they will need to serve that part of the market too.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
wellNew
YeahNew
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow