Started Feb 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Help with Lens choice for completing my kit
In reply to MirekE, Feb 4, 2013

MirekE wrote:

Doug_PS wrote:

I've owned a 15-85 in the past, and looking back I primarily only used the wide end (15) for travel (ie tight European streets, Architecture, Landscapes, etc...). I didn't use it often, but when I needed the wide end, I was glad to have it.

So I guess what you are looking for is:

1. Sharp corners when stopped down for landscapes.
  2. Low distortion for architecture.
  3. Not heavy and not big for walking in European cities.
  4. Possibly low light capability for museums and other places where flash and tripods are out of question.
  5. 24mm - 35mm as an equivalent of the wide end of your 15-85

I think it boils down to personal preferences whether weight is more important than distortion etc. I like to travel light, especially if long strolls in cities are part of the travel and i would be probably tempted to try the new wide angle IS lenses.

Excellent points! These are all of the variables I'm weighing! I've seen many recent threads comparing the Sigma 35 1.4 and the Canon f2 IS. In actuality I'll probably end up testing both of these simultaneously and making a decision. I might even throw the 24 f2.8 IS into the mix to test....a smallish light weight potential solution on the wider end

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow