SLT or DSLR?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Questions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT or DSLR?
In reply to Kim Flowers, Feb 4, 2013

Kim Flowers wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't really thought of it that way (speed of light vs. speed of the processor), but as fast as processors are these days, I didn't really notice the lag when I checked it out at the local chain store.

As for continous burst shooting, that may be the only time I actually use the LCD screen instead of the VF to keep track of the direction of the subject, so that I don't lose it. Usually with that type of shooting, I'm not looking for as much detail as I would need to see in a macro shot or landscape (I have to have a VF for those).

I'm relieved these are the only main differences between the technology of the two types of cameras; well, that and the amount of light lost, but high ISO image comparison tests between the a57 and Canon t4i were favorable (for Sony).

As some other folks mentioned, I am, however, a little concerned about Sony's reputation for less than stellar customer service/support and also about continuity of the alpha line/lenses.

Remember as well that mirrorless/SLTs offer significantly less battery life than OVF cameras because of the power drain of the EVF and the always-on main sensor. 1/3 to 1/5 is common.  Basically, it means you have to buy another couple of batteries at $60 each to equal the 600 shots you typically get out of a DSLR.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow