Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
jnk
jnk
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
This is the same bug as the D600
In reply to Paul Spatafora, Feb 4, 2013

Paul Spatafora wrote:

I've been reading all the focusing threads since I got my D800 and I have concluded that the AFS, focus priorty is inconsistent at all distances and I'm quite sure of it. In pursuit of a better focusing technique, I've been practicing with the OF-On, AFC, Release method, and have come to like the ability of focusing with the AF-ON button and firing the camera with the shutter, however, I'm really a focus priority guy.

I would like to confirm that I can set the camera in AFC, AF-ON button and have it on focus priority. I'm not sure if the D800 can work like this. All the reading I've done say it can't be setup like this. Can someone please let me know if I can use focus priority with AFC and AF-ON.

Also, has anyone here used the AF-ON button in AFS mode to circumvent the shutter button functions. I suspect the some of the focus inconsistencies are from the shutter button functions. When I press the AF-ON button in AFS mode, and press the shutter button to take the shot, I see activity in the viewfinder with the green dot flickering on and off. This gives me pause to think that I've lost the focus and potentially screwed up. Does this screw up the focus?

As for the D800, I really like this camera and the ability to product truly outstanding images, but the inconsistencies in the AFS, Focus priority is a real issue in my opinion.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Best Regards,

Paul

Paul - this was reported on the D600 as well ...

It's an bug - both a1 and a2 - release and focus are 'not' doing what's it's suppose to do:

- according to the manual -

"if set to 'focus' - the shutter can only be "released" when the camera is in focus".

that's not the case.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3285172

-- hide signature --

In photography - you're judge by the images you take - not by the camera/lens you use.
Ken

jnk's gear list:jnk's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow