The death of Sony on the high street

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
rodderslw
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Re: The death of Sony on the high street
In reply to Sonyshine, Feb 4, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

Here in the UK town planners do have a huge impact on the way people shop. They control things such as road development, parking, parking fees etc. They are also responsible for encouraging the large out of town shopping developments which is where people do still shop ( when not buying online)

My local town planners in Poole are applying to central government to permit retail outlets to have change of use without any planning permission - a great idea if it gets the go ahead as planning permission to change the use of a shop from say food to non food can take up to six months in the UK. Without this bureaucracy Poole council say retail units could be granted a change of use within a week.

So maybe we will have high streets full of coffee and charity shops and no electronics retailers but that is surely better than empty shop units?

I'm not sure about the planning controls in the UK but generally in Australia in a business zone planning does not get involved if you are a camera shop, book shop, toaster Shop etc. A shop land use does not require a permit...but the fact is they are still going out of business due to lack of sales. Entertainment, food, bars, coffee survives. Maybe the specialty camera shop is doomed...gone the way of video rentals, book shops and music stores. Sad but I can't moan too much because I have been part of the demise i.e my last 5 camera related purchases have been online. The advice and info I would have got from talking to a camera store salesperson I now get from the net and forums...for better or worse   : )

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony a6000 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow