What can't the Olympus OM-D Em5 do as well as a DSLR/SLT camera?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,311Gear list
Like?
Re: Anything with moving subjects
In reply to micronean, Feb 4, 2013

micronean wrote:

It also has poor ergonomics due to the small size so if you shoot for hours at a time, you'll end up in a lot more pain than if you were shooting with a better-fitting camera.

I can tell you have never used this camera for hours at a time. I personally have NEVER heard of anyone getting a cramp from using the EM-5, but to make this point moot, generally the body adapts to new ways of doing things. It's like playing a on a brand new guitar or tennis racket. the uncomfortable period ends pretty quickly.

I have never been able to get used to my Rebel for intense use, and I've had one of them for many years.  And that camera is bigger than an EM5 and has a grip.

What DOESN'T end is the pain around your neck or shoulders from carrying around a super heavy camera and lens all day. even supporting it with your hand on the grip for ten minutes is enough to get your arm muscles stiff.

I have carried 5kg of stuff for 12+ hours a day 6 days in a row with no issues whatsoever while walking all around Disney with my family.  It's all about having the right bag that itself has good ergonomics.  Backpackers carry 30kg or more in high-quality backpacks.  I use a front waist pack that spreads the load to both shoulders and my hips.  5kg feels like nothing spread that way.

Weight is the big problem, not ergonomics.

Ergonomics is the big problem, not weight.  5kg is really nothing.  I've carried my 15kg daughter around for 2 hours when she was asleep.  That's a very difficult load to carry - not ergonomic, active, heavy, fragile.  A camera that weighs a third as much in a proper bag is just not an issue.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow