Where to compare dof between the 6D and 1D4?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,116
Like?
changing priorities
In reply to qianp2k, Feb 4, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

How about 24-70L/2.8 II vs 24-70L/4.0 IS as latter is even newer and has 'IS'? How about old Nikon 70-200G/2.8 VR II is still more expensive than much newer 70-200G/4.0 VR despite latter actually is shaper at F4.0 and beyond?

If DOF control is so important, as you suggest, why would you even consider a slower f2.8 lens over the f1.8 option which is cheaper.

Let's not to compare apple to orange. Please compare zoom to zoom and prime to prime lenses. I bought two Canon F2.8 zoom that are probarbly the best in 35mm world. I am still mainly a zoom shooter and prefer its versatility.

Not apples to oranges. The comparison was to DOF not lens type. You said DOF caused lens to be more expensive. The greater DOF option for the shot is very often the cheaper option. Not sure why your all of a sudden needing zoom flexibility at the expense of greater DOF options..which are often even sharper at same focal length. You seem intend on changing priorities.

As you point out with example, better DOF control, which is your primary concern, is often had cheaper. At f2.8, the cheaper and faster prime is also the sharper option in some cases.

But prime not always sharper than zoom. Two Canon latest F2.8 zoom are as sharp as L prime

Not always the case at same focal length...regardless, why are you now changing the subject to sharpness?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
MeltNew
DOFNew
DOFNew
PDNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow