SLT or DSLR?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Kim Flowers
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: SLT or DSLR?
In reply to john farrar, Feb 4, 2013

Thanks!  I thought about this a lot last night and I think I understand where some of the brand bias come in.  When I hear the name Panasonic, I think of my old VCR.  When I hear Sony, I think of my old CD player or a TV.  But when I hear Canon or Nikon, I only think of cameras because that's all they make.  People might assume this specialization, plus the fact that most of the professionals use their brands (most of the high end stuff is made by them, I believe) leads people to believe that all of their cameras are the industry's best.  However, none of it really means that their entry/mid-level dslr's are any better than what I can get from Sony, and perhaps I can even get more for my money.

A reviewer from a youtube video did comment that you should start with either Canon or Nikon if you're even remotely interested in turning professional one day because you'll be invested in the lenses of the brand, but I read elsewhere that the full frame dslr's don't fit the same lenses as the ones that fit the APS-C sensor dslr's (not sure if this is correct so don't take my word for it), and if that's the case, one would need to change everything anyway!  At any rate, the closest I'll get to pro is maybe selling a few of my prints (and that's hopeful!)  I'm not going to shoot ads/commercials, weddings or even other people's family portraits, so I think the Sony will work fine for my purposes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow