looking for cheap full-frame lenses

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ahmami
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?
Re: looking for cheap full-frame lenses
In reply to CareEmber, Feb 4, 2013

CareEmber wrote:

I got a Nikon D800 for Christmas, but all my existing lenses are DX format. I'm looking to get at least one versatile, general purpose zoom that's full-frame, auto-focus compatible, and under $500. Any suggestions? I'd really wanted the Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro until I realized it wasn't full-frame. I can't seem to find something equivalent.

Hi CareEmber,

Let me share my experience. When I bought my Nikon D700 I too faced a similar situation. I had DX lenses and I 'invested' in a few Nikon all purpose zoom lenses such as the Nikon 24-85 and the 28 - 105. I was happy with them for a while but there always seemed to be something missing from my images (perhaps that was my fault!). In any case, a few years ago I made the conscious decision to only invest in either prime to professional zoom lenses. And to be honest, when I compare images from the older consumer grade lenses mentioned above and the prime/pro lenses, the latter offer a far more rewarding experience. You learn from your mistakes and I certainly did.

My sincere advise would be - especially given the Nikon D800 can can punish low resolving lenses heavily - to either increase your budget for a pro-grade lens, or failing that, invest in a couple of prime lenses such as the 50mm 1.8G or the 28 1.8G for a wider perspective. You will not regret the decision.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow