Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446Gear list
Like?
Re: A few pieces of advice, though
In reply to eric, Feb 4, 2013

eric wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

1. I miss the wide-angle i enjoyed with the 12-24; my guess is you'll miss the 11-16mm range as well.

There are plenty of affordable FX lenses that cover ultra wide.

Yes. But it's still an added expense/something he should keep in mind.

Also, I got my Tokina for $399. I haven't seen anything offering that range with that quality for that price point.

1. Batteries aren't compatible; you 'll need to factor in buying a spare.

Theres a whopping $20

Yes. But it's still an added expense/something he should keep in mind. He might want to go ahead and pick one up when he purchases the camera. (Plus, I think I paid more than $20...)

1. Unless you happen to have large, fast memory cards that you use with your d90, be prepared to shell out a few bucks for those as well. I'd say minimum of two fast 16 gig cards.

I got 2 32 SanDisk Ultras for $50 (again, this is pretty typical to upgrade to the newest tech.)

Yes. But it's still an added expense/something he should keep in mind. He might want to go ahead and pick these up when he purchases the camera.

1. 24 mp files are big. They take up lots of storage, and they take a lot of processing power and RAM to load, manipulate, and batch process. I had a 4 year old computer 3 months ago; now I have a 6 week old computer.

Your ccomputer must have been pretty bad because I have a 5 year old computer that has no problem processing 24mp over 12mp (Cant even see i difference really). Storage is no big deal either. you'll get a minimum of 43,628 or more 24mp photos on a 1 tb drive. I currently have over 80k on my 1tb drive and room for about another 80k

My computer was slow in rendering workable previews for RAW files. But I apologize that it wasn't up to your specs.

Well, I guess you showed me...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow