Upgrade 60D > 6D: Right Now or Rather Later??

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
db.
db.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228Gear list
Like?
Thanks, John Vant Land!
In reply to John Vant Land, Feb 4, 2013

John Vant Land wrote:

From my perspective, I would encourage you to adopt a long range plan for where you would like to be given your current and future financial situation.

By that I mean, if you have the funds now for a FF but will be struggling for the next year(s) to buy lenses that will bring out the best in your new camera, it seems like it would be better to invest in a few good L lenses now that will alway be useful with any camera in the future.

Perhaps be realistic as to what your budget for camera equipment will be for the next few years. Then map out your plan and start working at making it a goal.

If you have a consistent ability to save or earn money, maybe hold off a few months and wait for a 7D MKII when it comes out. You should be able to use your existing lenses for it. Sell your 60D once you have the 7D and buy one or more L lenses. Keep saving and eventually sell your 10-22 and 17-55 and 7D MKII when you want to go FF.

You won't quite have the instant gratification that seems so important to everyone now, but it would allow you incremental improvements with long term progress as opposed to buying a 6D now and not having the lenses to use with it.

I know it's hard to be patient, but there are some long term benefits. I know most people will reject this approach and that's fine, but someone, like me, needs to say it, and this has been the approach I've used.

Thank you, John. Your post
makes for interesting read-
ing. Just one remark on the
7D as an intermediate step:
while I think that FF would
improve my image-quality,
the 7D—sharing the same
sensor with the 60D—does
not improve IQ. Its real im-
provements—the sophisti-
cated AF-system or more
fps are of little interest for
my type of shooting (as I
said before).

-- hide signature --

db.

db.'s gear list:db.'s gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow