Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II vs ???

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
jayelae
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II vs ???
In reply to canoes, Feb 4, 2013

I have the 5D3 and the 24-70 f/2.8II but I have not tried the other lenses. I came from a 40D then a 7D then the 5D3. For the APS-C cameras, I used the wonderful 17-55 f/2.8 IS -- in short I am a zoom guy. The primes are all very good and sharp, etc. but what they lack is versatile speed -- as in having to change every time you need a different focal length and this means missed shots and missed opportunities.

Now, the 24-70 f/2.8 II is the one Canon zoom that rivals the primes in sharpness as in it is almost as sharp and, in some cases, equally sharp. And corner sharpness is not really sacrificed either. So I view the 24-70 f/2.8 II as providing and bridging the best of both worlds -- sharpness of primes yet with the versatility of a zoom range that suits the subjects I photograph most.

If your photographic preferences center on a certain fixed focal length (take an historical look at the most used focal length of your pics), then do consider the primes or A prime. But, in my case, there are times when I need the wide side and also equally many times that I use the tele aspect plus in between -- and these are not batched shooting (I keep changing focal lengths per pic). So, If I would have to switch lens each time, I will be doing more switching than picture taking!

Either way is fine -- it all boils down to your shooting style and what suits this the best.

jayelae's gear list:jayelae's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow