ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ScreenByte
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Matching a lens to a camera/calibration - slow focusing
Feb 4, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has ever sent a lens and  camera to Nikon for matching/ calibration.

My main interest is motor sport and I cover many meetings in a season and my main passion is panning shots.

Last year I brought the Nikon 70-200 vr2 to use on my old D300, before that I used a sigma lens for 2 years.

Now with the Sigma I used to be able to use much lower shutter speeds to keep the subject in focus and get the shots I wanted then I can with the Nikon, in fact my fail rate last year was terrible  even when I increased the shutter speeds and experimented all year.

Half way through last year I got myself a D800 and was hoping this might work better with the 70-200 but it didn't, if anything it was worse.

Now Nikon tell me if I send them the equipment they can match the lens to the camera and this should improve things but they don’t say how much so that’s why I'm asking this question?

I know it isn't my technique as I've been shooting thousands of panning shots every year for many years so now I have real doubts and questions over this lens, is it a bad copy, is it any good for what I want to use it for.

To make matters worse at the end of last season I tried my friends Canon with his 70-200 and it seemed to focus very quickly so after investing all my cash in Nikon for many years I now having thought about Canon.

Is this lens known to be slow performer?

Any thoughts or advice please on any of my questions.

Thanks

ScreenByte's gear list:ScreenByte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow