70-400G lens

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
quatpat
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-400G lens
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Feb 4, 2013

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

I am very surprised to hear your story. In my experience 70-400G is the sharpest consumer/amateur grade long tele zoom that I know of. Only my Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS HSM can match its optical sharpness and CA control. Under A99 70-400G just fly and stick to your subject provided you are using the right setting. My recommandation for you:

1) test lens sharpness with manual focus on tripod especially at 400mm F5.6. Do use live view magnification to visually achieve best sharpness. If the lens is no defect you should see prime-like sharpness. Many people swear by its sharpness, my own experience certainly matches this review as well.

2) thoroughly check front/back focus at widest aperture, at various foal range. You might need to fine tuning AF micro adjustment. Your test subject should be typical distance you will likely shooting (i.e. 100 ft away).

3) in real life shooting, assuming you use it for wildlife or other action shots, you want to use high shutter speed (faster than 1/1000). You want to take advantage of AF-D and turn electronic front curtain shutter "OFF" (says so in manual, I did notice better image with EFC "OFF").

Best luck finding a way to make it work.

4) Shoot RAW, and learn to properly process it.

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EdNew
Rob:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow