Panny 7-14 vs ZD 7-14, anyone have experience with both?

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Panny 7-14 vs ZD 7-14, anyone have experience with both?
Feb 4, 2013

I'm having a hard time deciding which lens to eventually pick up for use with my OM-D. I loved the 4/3 7-14 when I rented it last year for use on en E-5. It was perfect for shooting slot canyons and other desert landscapes on a trip I was on in southern Utah. Now I have an OM-D and am looking to pick up a rectilinear UWA. (My Rokinon should be arriving in a day or two, and I can't wait to try that out).  Fast forward, and I have a multi-day hike booked on an even more spectacular set of slot canyons in a few months, so I figure it's time to buy this time.

Obviously, the m4/3 lens is significantly lighter and smaller. I've heard it's fairly rugged, and has good IQ. I could live with the CA since that cleans up easily, although the ghosting with light sources worries me a little bit when I'm shooting in a slot canyon. However, I'm not someone who just wants to take every picture into the sun.

The 4/3 version is going to add a fair bit of weight. But actual weather sealing means a lot since I live in a place with miserable weather. Focus is supposedly slower but for what I use an UWA for, I can't imagine it being a problem. I'm not too concerned about the price difference either, it seems I can find a good used or refurbished 4/3 version for not much more than a new m4/3.

I guess right now, I'm just wondering if anyone has used both and has any useful information about overall IQ. Is there a significant difference between the two? I would think the 4/3 version would be superior, but I how much so in real world use, or is it not really any better?

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Sam

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow