Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Re: Av defaults to 'slow sync' fill flash
In reply to Lemming51, Feb 4, 2013

Lemming51 wrote:

clockwork247 wrote:

I just got a canon 20D (just for fun, it was cheap). and when I'm using the flash I notice my shutter speed stays the same as when I'm not using the flash, is this normal? on my Sony when it detect I'm using a flash, it increases the shutter speed.

I'm asking this because I'm sitting on 1/15 and without IS it's hard to shoot, poping up the flash still leave me at 1/15... on my sony it would increase the shutter to about 1/60 at least.

I'm on aperture mode BTW.

That's the default way Av mode works with flash. Shutter speed is set to expose for the ambient light and flash provides fill for your near subject. See p. 92 of the instruction manual.

You can change this with C.Fn-03 set =1 (p. 141 of the instruction manual). Then with flash, the shutter speed is fixed at 1/250 and the flash provides the main light.

M mode is preferred. Set the shutter and aperture you want and the ETTL autoexposure controls the flash output.

If you don't have the instruction manual, it's available from Canon USA (link to 20D manual) .

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

I see, so that's how it works, what I did when I needed the higher shutter was to go to manual mode (yeah I figured atleast that one should work lol). So it's slightly different from sony DSLR.

On a sony when i pop up the flash, it compensate the shutter to a higher speed when it's too low (say 1/15, 1/10 ish)

Thanks. That explains everything... i'm good to go now :).

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony SLT-A37 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow