Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Recommendation
In reply to Stuntflyer, Feb 4, 2013

Stuntflyer wrote:

A friend asked me to take some stills of her class teaching Wheelchair Dancing. Using my D5100, what focal length would you recommend I use to get some separation and reduce facial distortion? Unlike the video, I should be able to get within 10-15 feet of my subjects. I want to be able to photograph their expressions and upper body movements. I only have the 35/1.8 right now and I am thinking that it is too wide angle for this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4o0vozfqNY

How much light will you have? If using flash is not an option, then even a fast 2.8 zoom might not be fast enough. Even with the extra stop of a f1.8 prime, you might still find yourself cranking up your ISO and muttering darkly about the motion blur from your subjects because you can't get your shutter speed high enough to avoid it.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow